Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The thing about Nicki Minaj ...

 
Nicki Minaj, born Onika Tanya Manaj, is a rising star in the music world with her hit songs like "Super Bass", "Moment for Life" and "Fly". What do I have to say about her music?  Well, let's examine it.


"Excuse me, You're a hell of a guy
you know I really got a thing for American guys
I mean, sigh, sickenin' eyes I can tell that you're in touch with your feminine side
Yes I did, yes I did, somebody please tell him who the F I is
I am Nicki Minaj, I mack them dudes up, back coupes up, and chuck the deuce up"


The first time I heard "Super Bass" I grew very annoyed by her constantly telling us that she was Nicki Minaj.  What is she singing about?  It's as if she's flirting with a guy then randomly punches him in the junk box screaming her battle cry ("Nicckkkiiii Maaannnaaj!").  I don't like the way she raps - her voice to be honest - and I don't hear anything in it that makes me want to continue listening.  My biggest complaint is the grammar/spelling/dialect that is used.  But, as a reviewer, I continued.  


When I listened to "Moment for Life"  I did not like the beat HOWEVER I liked the imagery she used and the chorus of the song.  I see this more as a poetic piece rather than a song.

Opening:  "I fly with the stars in the skies,

I am no longer trying to survive,
I believe that life is a prize,
But to live doesn’t mean you’re alive"

Chorus:  "I wish that I could have this moment for life, for life, for life
Cuz in this moment I just feel so alive, alive, alive"

The song "Fly"  may be the only song I find some interest in.  I will tell you straight up that I do not care for Rihanna; the only song by her I like is Umbrella, and nothing more.  So why is this song even remotely good?  I like the softness of Rihanna's voice in the chorus line and Nicki's rapper style that tells a story.  The beat isn't like nails on a board, I really like it - I would go so far as to have it as a ringtone for when my boyfriend calls.  I can't stress enough that the beat is good.  The lyrics are if-y but overall I enjoy this song.

Opening for Rihanna - Chorus
I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive
I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise
To fly, to fly

Opening for Nicki Minaj
I wish today it will rain all day
Maybe that will kinda make the pain go away
Trying to forgive you for abandoning me
Praying but I think I’m still an angel away
Angel away, yeah strange in a way
Maybe that is why I chase strangers away


My verdict.

Do I like Nicki Minaj?  No, not really, but that doesn't mean I dislike her music.  Minaj seems to be copying Lady Gaga (who some believe is copying Madonna) and has brought nothing new to the music genre.  She hasn't presented a new beat or a way of singing that makes her any different than those on American Idol.  If you like Nicki Minaj that's fine, if you dislike her, that's fine too.  The only reason that I dislike her is simply because there is nothing in her music that pulls me (physically, emotionally or spiritually).  Whose music does?  I'll tell you that in another blog.

Sincerely, The Carnivorous Rabbit.

1 comment:

  1. I like her in the Kanye West song "Monster." It's all been downhill from there. :)

    ReplyDelete